2 Peter 2:1-3

"But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false prophets among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them - bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping." 2 Peter 2:1-3

There is nothing new under the sun. In the past false teachers existed and they will exist in the future. What is a false teacher? A false teacher takes a little bit of truth and distorts the reader's view of God and His work in the world. They bring truth into disrepute. In other words, they make public a low opinion of the truth, destroying its reputation. What makes false teachers so dangerous is that they are slick. Peter tells the reader that they secretly introduce destructive heresies. If your not paying attention and matching what they say up with the truth, then you can easily get sucked in. These heresies are destructive! They are destructive to the people being taught and they are destructive to the people who teach them. False teachers will even make up stories and exploit people to satisfy their greed. It might not even be their greed for money, but their greed for power or attention. They will bring about their own destruction! You know, there are many people who are searching for truth in a world that preaches that truth is subjective. Subjective truth is no truth at all. Something cannot be true for me and not true for someone else and it still be truth. I cannot say that Jesus is the only way and that be truth for me and not others, that's ridiculous! By nature, seekers will be sceptacle of truth, but it is not seekers who Peter is warning. Peter is warning those who claim to follow Christ. It has never made sense to me, when someone says I believe in Jesus and what He did, but the Bible cannot be totally trusted. You either trust it or you don't! If there was part of the Scriptures that could not trusted then how do I determine which parts I do trust! Am I willing to surrender my life to this Jesus whom I have come to know through a book that cannot be trusted? That is stupidity. I believe the Bible is God's truth about Himself and His workings, and I choose to surrender my life to the Lord Jesus Christ based on what I know from a book that can be fully trusted! Am I naive? If you think so, then I challenge you to prove to me why the Bible cannot be trusted. Cling to the truth and don't allow false teachers to sway you to have a low opinion of the Scriptures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan