2 Peter 1:10-11

"Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome in the eternal kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:10-11

This is an interesting portion of scripture to me. On one hand you have Peter talking about God's calling and election and on the other hand you have man's responsibility. I cannot theologically accept that man's responsibility dictates God's calling and election. God is sovereign and man's will is fallen. I know that there are debates about the argument of "free will" all the time. While I am comfortable believing man has a will that's free to make different choices in life, I don't believe salvation is one of them. Free implies that man left to his own choosing could make a decision to follow Jesus. From a human standpoint this is true, but I don't believe that is what the scriptures teach. I believe the scriptures are clear that God has to do something in a man's heart first. Apart from the influence of the Holy Spirit, man would never choose Christ. I do not believe man's will is free in that sense. So you have God's calling and election, yet Peter tells the reader to make that calling and election sure. I believe Peter is saying that while it is true that you are called and elected, do everything you can to live a life worthy of that calling. In doing so, you will receive a rich welcome into the kingdom of God. I can just imagine what that welcome will be like. Will that welcome be one that is rich or one that is shameful? Will we hang our head in shame as we enter the kingdom because we decided not to live a life worthy of our calling, or will it be rich because we lived up to our election? While its true that all of our sin has been forgiven, shame is a consequence of a life lived in apathy and sin. I want a rich welcome! How about you?

Comments

CheMae86 said…
Just soaking up this blog, Pastor Jon! thanks so much :)

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan