Saturate Yourself with Truth! - Eph. 4:14-16

"14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."
Eph. 4:14-16

So often I hear people say that they don't really need to know what the Bible has to say, they just love Jesus. This sounds very appealing to many because of the sharp disagreements that have been used only to divide Christians who squabble about non-essential teachings. But if I can't help but disagree with such thinking when I read this passage. First of all, this passage is a response to the previous passage speaking about attaining unity in the church's faith in Christ and knowledge of Christ. They were to be moving toward maturity in their thinking, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ! In other words, our knowledge of Jesus moves us toward maturity and we keep moving in that direction to know Him fully!

And now we get to the passage for this morning. There are two results of pursuing a knowledge of Christ together as a church...
1. We will have a solid foundation to discern what is truth and what is not!
2. We will be able to speak the truth in love!

I was thinking about this whole speaking the truth in love thing and here is where my mind was taking me. I know that when I am confident about something, I can respond to people while in control, but when I am wishy-washy, I tend to be defensive. If I am confident in the Scriptures it makes it much easier to be in control and speak truth while loving the other person. If I don't have that confidence, I will focus on defending my reasons because frankly I'm still trying to land the plane on an issue myself. So knowing Jesus through His Word is important... I would make the argument that the more you know Jesus, the more your heart expands for Him! That's all the time I have to blog this morning, but think about that! Knowing Jesus through His Word is a MUST! Saturate yourself with truth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan