The Door Has Been Shut! - Acts 16:6-10

"6 Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. 7 When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to. 8 So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. 9 During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." 10 After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them."
Acts 16:6-10

There is ambivalence in my heart this morning. I have two very different and opposite emotions in my heart. I had found out yesterday that I was not going to be asked to candidate for a position at the church that I love, meaning that my time at First Baptist will end in a couple of months. On one hand I am saddened because it means leaving the people we (my family) have grown to love, but on the other hand I am excited about what lies ahead for us.

This morning I would just like to share my heart about the way God leads sometimes. I am reminded, through the account in Acts 16, of how God led Paul to the exact spot he needed to be through the avenue of closed doors. Paul was on his second missionary journey and had just finished visiting the churches from his first journey. He delivered the deliberation results of the council in Jerusalem to the people and was off on a new adventure.

Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia.

The Lord closed the door on Paul from preaching the Word in the province of Asia. That had to drive him crazy. I can imagine that Paul was searching for clarity! He just wanted to serve God and doors just began closing on him.

When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.

Another door shut! Wow! Can you imagine what Paul and his companions may have been feeling? "Are we doing the right thing?" I can hear them calling out to God in their confusion... "Lord where is it that you want us?"

So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas.

They came to the end of the land to the port city of Troas. "Is this it? We just journeyed hundreds of miles and haven't really done anything yet!" I am sure that confusion was mounting and perhaps frustration as well. Everywhere they turned was a closed door and that led them to Troas of all places! Why?

During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.

God finally birthed clarity to Paul and his companions, but why the silence and why Troas? I cannot speak to the silence, only that God often tests our faith when he is silent, but I can speak to Troas. Troas is a port city and the quickest way to Macedonia. God was leading Paul through closed doors to the exact spot that he needed to be in.

If I were to describe what is happening in my heart and life, that would be it. I know that God has given me a passion for the Great Commission... to go and make disciples! But where and how I am do to that is unclear. God has kept me from serving Him in that capacity at First Baptist, but the future is still unclear. I believe God is leading me through closed doors and calling me just to trust Him during these days.

So what does all this mean for me and my family? Only that we are being called out of our comfort zone and into a place of trust... and that is a good thing!

What about you? How is God leading you? Where is God leading you? Are you in a place of comfort or a place of trust?

Lord, help us to trust You in Your silence, knowing that You work for the GOOD of those who love You!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jon, I read your post and oh, how I identify with your call to TRUST. God loves you, Trish, Tori and Caleb. And, God is good. Hold on, hold on together, and more than anything be CONFIDENT He is holding on to all of you. Psalm 121 - John Tice and family
Jon Pickens said…
Thank you for your words John. It means a lot coming from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan