Secure - Eph. 1:11-14 Part 3

"In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of Him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of His glory. And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the praise of His glory."

There is a process that we go through from our perspective that results in us being included in Christ. The Scriptures tell us that we were included in Christ when...

1. We heard the Word of Truth - which is the gospel of our salvation.
2. We believed that Word of Truth.
3. We were marked in Him with a seal guaranteeing our inheritance.

So we heard the Gospel, believed it, and God made our salvation secure. I want to explore that last part a little. I am not trying to manipulate the Scriptures, I am just pointing out out what it clearly says. I will do this through a series of questions...

Q. What is the result of believing the Gospel?
A. We were marked in Christ with a seal!

Q. What is the seal?
A. Not a what but a who... The promised Holy Spirit!

Q. What does the Holy Spirit do?
A. He is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance!

Q. How long is this seal good for?
A. Until the redemption of those who are God's possessions.

I can't get around the language. When a person genuinely believes the Gospel, he is given the Holy Spirit who seals his eternity! My inheritance in heaven is absolutely secure! That's a good feeling. I do not walk around wondering whether that will be my reality someday. I do not even give a thought to whether I will "make it" to heaven or not. I am in! I have been sealed! I am just waiting for my God to collect!

God thank you for this promise! I have nothing to fear in this life because my inheritance in Your Kingdom is set! I need nothing nor am I burden with thought of not "making it". I am totally free to serve you until You make good on Your promise! So help me to serve You well, not out of fear, but out of love! I am Your possession!

Comments

D. Jacobs said…
Great post JP! I think this is an example of a passage that people tend to pretend is not there because they don't like some of theme's of it, which really is to their detriment. If your reaction is to close your book and forget what you read, you're totally missing out on great encouraging theology. Among them is the idea that we are God's possession. I especially love that the Holy Spirit is a "Down Payment", alluding to the idea that there is more to come with our inheritance.

*End Soapbox* Anyways, great biblical message and format of your post. You broke the thought down and communicated it well. Can't wait to get more into the epistles on Sunday's!

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan