Purpose - Eph. 1:11-14 Part 2

"In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of Him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of His glory. And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the praise of His glory."

Whenever I read the words, "in order that", I automatically think of purpose. The author is trying to communicate a reason why. In this case, Paul is trying to communicate a reason why we were chosen or predestined. He says that the process was done in conformity to His will, but that is not the reason why... that is how. Then we come to that phrase, "in order that"! OK... purpose is coming! What was the purpose of His choosing... that we might be to the praise of His glory. I ask myself the question, who? Who has been chosen? As much as I believe that we all have been chosen, Paul specifically adds in a phrase that cannot be ignored... "who were the first to hope in Christ". Who is he talking about? My suspicion is that he is talking about those who met and were called by Jesus personally, however, it could mean Jews and then gentiles were included. Either way, one thing is true... God's work in our lives has brought us to a singular purpose... "to the praise of His glory"! We find it in verse 6, 12, and 14 of Eph. 1. I live for the praise of His glory! The very reason I exist is to be to the praise of His glory. Not my own glory! I don't live to make a name for myself, but to make His name known among the nations!

God help me to make your name known today! May others look at me and clearly see You in me and not me in me.
My thoughts, attitudes, and actions point to my Savior and not to me! I don't exist for me, I exist for Your Glory! May that be my reality!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan