1 John 5:16-17

"If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that does lead to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death." 1 John 5:16-17

Have you ever heard someone make a comment in the context of your conversation with them and you had to ask, "What do you mean by that? Explain yourself!" That's what I feel like right now. I would love to have a conversation with the Apostle John and ask him to explain, because I am not sure what this means. Here is my best stab at it, but honestly I don't know! Here is what I know John to have said:

1. There is a (singular) sin that leads to death
2. There is sin (plural) that does not lead to death
3. We are encouraged to pray for a fellow believer if their sin does not lead to death
4. All wrongdoing is sin

Here are my questions:

1. Is death speaking of physical or spiritual death?
2. Is John inferring that we don't pray for someone who commits a sin that does lead to death?
3. What is the sin that leads to death?

Could John be referring to physical death to which God directly intervenes as in the case of Ananias and Sapphira? Was the sin that they committed the sin that leads to death? If this is the case then John is referring to physical death. Honestly, I am clueless! He could be referring to apostasy, since the context of the book is about false teaching and he ends the book with the phrase, "Dear children, keep yourself from idols." I am not sure. Any thoughts out there? I need someone to sharpen me! I would appreciate and invite any and all thoughts pertaining to these verses!

God, I need Your Holy Spirit to open my eyes to the truth of these verses. I am confused and desire to know what it is You are trying to say to Your people through Your servant John. Open up my mind and guide me to Your truth!

Comments

DaveH said…
John, This is what I (a simpleton) sees:

1. Spiritual death.

2. No. We are to pray continually and I belive that to include all matters.

3. The sin that leads to death is not confessing that Jesus is the Christ, the only way to heaven. This is reaffirmed by verse 21. If their belief is in idols it is not in the true God. We are forgiven of our sins by the grace of God through Jesus Christ only if we belive.

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan