1 John 4:4-6

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood." 1 John 4:4-6

John is speaking about the influence of false teachers whose teaching are based on worldly ideas and not on truth. John encourages the reader by acknowledging that they have overcome the influence of the false teachers, because the Spirit of God who is in them is greater than the influence of the evil one. When we live by the Spirit of God as He interacts with the truth of the Word, we are readily able to recognize worldly philosophies and steer clear of them. The enemy seeks to distort truth, so that what is wrong seems right and what is right seems wrong. This is so evident in our culture. For a follower of Christ to adhere to biblical principles of what is right and wrong, means public chastisement and bigotry. So what God says is right and wrong, is made out to be evil in the eyes of many people. This is a tragedy, and while I know and love some of these people, my heart breaks because they have bought into a worldly point of view. I know it is senseless to argue with them about these things because they do not look at truth the same way that I do. The only way for them to hear the truth and align their thinking with the truth is for God to open up their minds and heart to receive it. John is right, "whoever is not from God does not listen to us"! There have been times in my life where I have questioned my faith on a deep level based solely on the fact that others believed radically different things, but I have always rested on the fact that God's Word has proved over and over to be living and active! I have come to realize that my faith is not based on whether someone agrees with me or even the majority agrees with me. It is based on the truth of a living, breathing document that is confirmed by the work of the Holy Spirit in my life. Who are you listening to and what is your faith based on? These are big questions we all need to come to terms with.

God, I feel like I am an island sometimes! Its hard for me to hear that what You have made right and called wrong is twisted and considered evil. It is hard for me to speak on the authority of Your Word, when that authority is not recognized by others. The influence of the evil one is great and disheartening, but You have reminded me that greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world! God, I pray for those who have been influenced by this world! May you open up their hearts and help them to see the truth! This is my heart's desire!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan