1 John 5:1-5

"Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves His child as well. This how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out His commands. This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God." 1 John 5:1-5

So what are the evidences of a person who has genuinely surrender his life to Christ to be adopted as His child and conformed to His Son? Well, I believe John lays those things out. These are not requirements, but rather fruit of real faith. In some way you have to have benchmarks because there are many people who say "I believe", but belief is rooted in action. You will show your belief by what you do. Here are the evidences:

1. You believe that Jesus is the Son of God!
2. You love the Father and the Son!
3. You love the Children of God (other believers)!
4. You seek to keep God's commands!
5. You overcome the world! (A result of true faith)

In a nut shell, you love the true God and love people! That is my calling as a Christ follower. If you have been following my blog, this seems to be a reoccurring theme. I can't help it, it seems to jump out of the pages of 1 John so evidently. I would have to conclude that to grow in my faith is to love God deeper, truer, and more passionately and to love people as Christ would love them, especially the people of God. Its interesting...I am to love my wife as Christ loved the Church, I am to love the Church as Christ does, and I am to love people outside the church as Jesus modeled, and I am to love my enemy by praying for them. Loving God and loving others is no easy task to be sure, but this is my calling! This is my pursuit in life! Nothing takes more precedence than to do this! My Pastor said yesterday that he woke up the other day thinking of all he had to do, when he stopped and realized that he had only two things to do...love God and love people! I agree!

God, help me to make that my pursuit today...to love You with all my heart soul and mind and to love people the way Christ would! Teach me what this means, for much of what I do seems to be tainted by my flesh. I want to take up my cross and follow Your Son today by the way that I love! Thank You for loving me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan