1 John 3:16-20

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words and tongue but with actions and in truth. This is how we know we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything." 1 John 3:16-20

Truth leads to a love for people! Jesus, who embodies truth, set the example by laying down His life for us, and we are to follow His example. We don't self-sacrifice for the sake of being right with God, but we lay down our lives for others as a result of being in the truth. If you belong to Christ, then you will actively love others. There is a peace before God during times of doubt when you are engaging your faith in a love for others! Who are these "others"? John refers to them several times as brothers. I believe John is talking about the community of believers as he often refers to believers as brothers. It is certainly true that we should love others outside the church, but I believe John is referring to a special relationship that we have as a community to lay down our lives for one another, after all we will be spending eternity together. It is in that love and self sacrifice that the truth of Christ becomes alive and set apart! People see a difference! Sadly, we don't do this very well. We fight a tendency to be self-centered and individualistic! We hold strong to the belief that we have our rights and our space and its not fair if anyone invades these things. That is not the way of Christ! We are told to guard our time and possessions and emotions and our reputation. We are way to individualistic to love like we should! I have been individualistic nearly my entire life, not wanting to get close to anyone for fear of disappointment. I moved around a lot as a kid, being bounced back and forth between my mom and my dad. I grew up depending on myself and resisted intimate relationships. If I am going to love others as Jesus did, I need to think differently. I need to be willing to lay down my life...become a part of a community...sacrifice my agenda and time...fork over my money to help those in need when necessary. As a matter of fact I need to change my verbiage, because its not my time, my agenda, my money, or even my life. I have been crucified with Christ and my life is not my own. All of these things are God's and I need to be a faithful steward of them!

God, I am Yours! I know this...I write about this...I sing about this...but I don't always live this way. Renew my mind so that I might constantly think differently! My desire is to live according to Your truth...to love others the way Jesus did! I need your help to accomplish this! Thank You! I need You!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan