Hebrews 2:10-18 (Examine)

"10 In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. 11 Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers. 12 He says, "I will declare your name to my brothers; in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises." 13 And again, "I will put my trust in him." And again he says, "Here am I, and the children God has given me." 14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil-- 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. 16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. 17 For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18 Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted."
Hebrews 2:10-18

What does the author mean by "should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering."? Isn't Jesus already perfect or is the passage talking about something else?
According to the context of Hebrews, I believe the author is referring to Jesus being made the perfect sacrifice. Consequently, He had to become like man and suffer inorder to satisfy the demands of the Father. Suffering takes on more significance than just enduring the cross, becoming a human was part of it. Jesus, the Son of God... very God Himself, had never suffered physical pain, hunger, thirst, or limitations. He became a man! 100% human, yet 100% God! The climax of His suffering was the cross, but taking on flesh and enduring the reality of humanity and ultimately laying down His life for them, He was "made perfect"... the perfect sacrifice for sin. He qualified to be the perfect sacrifice by satisfying the demands of the law through a sinless life. He is qualified! He was made perfect! Notice how the author says that "it was fitting..." It was all a part of the wise and sovereign plan of God. It had to be so. This is what the author is saying! The Messiah being human... IT MAKES SENSE AND HAD TO BE SO!

What is the purpose of the second Scripture quote "I will put my trust in him"? It seems pretty random...
The author is quoting from Isa. 8, which the readers would have likely known since it is a Messianic passage. In Isaiah 8, the New American Standard translates "I will trust in Him" to "I will look eagerly for Him." The context is about Israel missing the Messiah, He would be hidden from them, because they were looking for someone high and kingly, not a lowly baby born in a manger, a homeless teacher wandering the land with fishermen (common folks), and certainly not a man who died at the hands of the Romans on a cross. No, the Messiah would be a stone that they would stumble over because they were not looking in the right direction. The author of Hebrews is reorienting the Jewish audience to look in the right direction... to look eagerly at the Messiah who had come in the person of Jesus. He is that stone that they were stumbling over! The author is making his argument!

Who are Abraham's descendants?
This refers to all those in a covenant relationship with God through Christ. Listen to what Paul says in Gal. 3:9... "And if you belong to Christ, you are Abraham's descendant, heirs according to promise."

Why does the author feel compelled to bring up the humanity of Jesus?
I think it is clear that the Jewish people were looking for a Messiah that was not human but divine. I am sure they thought He would be eternal and take on the form of man, but to be made like man in every way... I believe they struggled with that. The author seems to think so, for why else would he spend a chapter and a half talking about the humanity of Jesus with a clear intent on convincing a Jewish audience that Jesus is indeed the Messiah.

Comments

David said…
I'm doing a chapter summary and trying to relate it to some Christology. The other day my girlfriend was reminding me of myself again saying, "Jesus is not God, He's the Son.". So, I replied with the common quotes of Mark... I'll share my thoughts soon before chapter 3. Seems to me being of a sound mind and pure heart is superior to doctrinal knowledge anyway. Her questioning made my day.
David said…
actually, after looking up what i quoted, its not Mark after all....it was John 14.... whoops! that actually goes along with Hebrews 1:1 - 1:3 in my mind, the second son of God so to speak....

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan