Day 6 in the Philippines 2011

Last day for basketball camp... It all began after some bacon and eggs. We left the guest house to travel to the church. The morning time was pretty slow for Bobby and I, but that was a much needed break. During the morning I wandered around the church just observing and making conversation with others. I dropped in on the drama ministry led by George and Marian Pastore, and it was such a blessing. George was so engaged with the 25 plus students who were there, and the performance was beautiful. I can't wait to see it when they are done. I also got to hear and see the vision that Pastor Jek has for youth ministry. We went up to the roof and looked out over the city. It was beautiful! It looked so calm and organized from the fourth floor, but that is not the feeling while in the midst of it. Perspective matters!

We visited the work site when we dropped George off. They were building a house that would sit several feet off the ground because of water issues. They had been living in a house that would have a foot or two of water in it. When we got there, we found out that Pastor Mike was having some back issues and he left to go rest at the guesthouse. He is still struggling a bit, but is up and around and connecting with our friends.

After lunch at the SM (Shoe Mart... a mall in Mandaue), we headed to the new property to play our coaches game. I am so glad that we only had four on four and played half court. I have definitely burnt some calories while here!

The first session started at 3pm. It was tournament day, so we divided up the teams and played full court basketball. Part of the joy of camp for me is connecting with the kids from the neighboring barangay. I gave out cars and took pictures. The picture above is of some of the kids from that village and I. I also got a lesson in Cebuano...

Ma-ta = Eyes
A-long = Nose
Dong-gun = Ears
Mijas = Socks
Bot-bot = Mouth
Ulo = head
Sa-be-toes = Shoes
Borol - Shorts

I doubt if I spelled those right, but we will see. I learned a few more as well, but I won't make you suffer through my list. After each session of camp, we had a BBQ dinner and award certificates to hand out to the students. It was a fantastic time! 11 students made decisions to follow Jesus, so I am excited about the opportunity that MCBC has to follow up while we are gone.

Bobby and I got home at 9:30PM, showered, and went to bed. I was very tired!

Tori continued to hang out with the Glee Camp girls. She has a talent show today. It will be fun to watch her!

Oh yeah... I also have been told that Pastor Jek is more handsome than Pacquiao, their beloved boxing hero... by Pastor Jek himself! (hehehehe)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ma-ta = Eyes
A-long = Nose
Dong-gun = Ears
Mijas = Socks
Bot-bot = Mouth
Ulo = head
Sa-be-toes = Shoes
Borol - Shorts

--------------------

Ma-ta = Eyes (correct)
A-long = Nose ("e-long")
Dong-gun = Ears (correct)
Mijas = Socks ("medias")
Bot-bot = Mouth ("bah-bah")
Ulo = head (correct)
Sa-be-toes = Shoes ("sa-pa-toes")
Borol - Shorts ("poo-roll")

------------------------
- jimboy..

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan