Day 3 in the Philippines 2011

Great day! At breakfast we were able to connect with the Wilkinson family for a short time, and then Bobby, George, Marian, Tori, and I headed off to the church. Tori, George and Marian had to be there at 8am for Drama Camp and Bobby and I had to be there at 9am for a meeting with the Basketball coaches. The rest of the team went on a tour of the BTC with their fearless host... Steve Wilkinson. I am sad that I missed that, though I have seen BTC before. I always enjoy connecting with the Wilkinsons and I know that I will not have much of an opportunity to connect since they are leaving this week to head back to the states. During our coaches meeting, I walked them through the devotional materials since everything is done in small groups, just to make sure everyone was comfortable and felt prepared. After our coaches meeting, Bobby and I connected with Mike and Dan to head over to a construction site with Pastor Hermie and Lito. We thought we were going to tear down an existing home and begin construction, but the house was already torn down and construction had begun. We worked until lunch helping build the framing for the home. After a great lunch with all the guys from the construction site at Jollie-Bees, Bobby and I went back to the church to grap the materials we needed for basketball camp. We got to the new property about 2pm and played around with the kids that were there. Camp started at 3pm with the 12 to 14 year old students. We had about 25 participants for that camp, which was a great number to work with. Bobby taught the drills session, devotions were held in small groups, and I functioned as a facilitator of the overall schedule. It was a blessing to have Bobby there helping out... he adds so much to the camp experience. We organized 3 on 3 games for the students to finish out the days camp. When the first camp was over, we had an hour until the next camp began so we played 3 pick up games with the coaches who were there. Not sure that was a great idea, but it was so much fun... I can tell I am in an aging body! haha! The second camp started at 6pm for students who were 15 and older. We did the same format. Bobby and I finally got home at 8:45pm and the shower I took was grand! It was funny to look in the mirror when I got home and make a very obvious observation... I got sun! I should have worn my sunscreen! When am I ever gonna listen to Trish! haha! All and all it was a fantastic day! Today is another big day. Be praying for the coaches as they share the gospel with the students! I am praying for a harvest of receptive hearts! I am excited about what God is going to do!

I haven't talked to anyone but George and Tori since I came home last night. The men's crew put on the roof of the house and then dug and poured footers for the foundation. That sentence may have sounded weird to you, but part of the unique way that Filipinos build squatter homes is to build the framing first and then the foundation. They do this to get out of the sun as quick as possible and it works. I will try to get pictures.

Devotion:

"Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly."
Philippians 1:14

We all know the power of modeling faith before those who know you! Paul is a great example of a man who modeled courageous faith in the midst of tough circumstances and it produced in others a courage and lack of fear as they spoke God's Word to the people. I can imagine that they thought, "If he can do it, then we can as well!" I am sure that they saw Paul's joy in the midst of suffering and his incredible commitment to his God given purpose. That had to have had a profound impact on how they responded. Paul was a model of courage and fearlessness! He was not a model of complaining or blaming God for his circumstances! There are two things that I desire to be a part of my life through my time with the Lord this morning... 1. A courage and lack of fear that Paul modeled 2. I would be a source of encouragement to others that moves them toward that same courage and fearlessness!

How about you? Lets be a people who hold out the Word of Truth with courage and no fear!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan