A Testimony in a Time of Trouble

"Now I want you to know, brothers, that what happened to me has really served to advance the Gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ."
Philippians 1:12-13

I think God's Word is incredible! Here you have a man of God explaining his own circumstances that may seem grim, undesirable, and depressing to the average person, but that was not the attitude of Paul. Paul was able to look at his circumstances and see how God was using it for Kingdom purposes. He had become a testimony to the greatness of God while in prison and people were taking notice. This testimony did not come about because of the circumstances but rather in spite of the circumstances. It was because Paul made a choice based on his knowledge of who God is and what life was all about. Paul knew his purpose and did not feel entitled to some happy, easygoing life! Not only was he a testimony to the palace guards, but his example served as an encouragement for other believers to speak the Word of God boldly!

"Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously and fearlessly."
Philippians 1:14

What about me? How do I respond when trouble comes into my life? Do I shut down in self-pity or do I rise up as a testimony to the greatness of God? Do I have a sense of entitlement to live the happy/easy life? Are people encouraged to speak the Word of God more courageously because of my example in times of trouble and undesirable circumstances? These are some tough questions to ask and answer. I think that we, as Americans, tend to gravitate toward a sense of entitlement which results in self-pity when times of trouble enter our lives. Living as a testimony to the greatness of God requires you to think right about God and about the reality of life! Lets not get caught up thinking and living like this life is all there is. Its about the Kingdom! Go and be the light of the world knowing that your light is more visible in times of trouble!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan