Obedience and Our Leaning Toward Rebellion

So obedience is absolutely essential to our purpose in life...to glorify God! We must become people committed to obedience, being intentional about living within God's will. But that being said, we need to explore our tendency to rebel against God. Paul, as he was writing the book of Romans, explains this struggle in chapter 7:

"I know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate to do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself doing it, but sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin living in me that does it"
Romans 7:14-20

So you see the frustration in Paul as he understands that, as result of his sinful nature, he has a tendency to rebel against God and His Will! We have a natural tendency to live outside the box, even when we want to live inside the box! I am reminded of the Ring of Power in the Lord of the Rings. Those who seek the ring might want to use it for good, but it always pushes a person toward evil!

"The heart is deceitful above all esle. Who can understand it?"
Jer. 17:9

We have a tendency to follow our heart! We will do things we never thought we would do because it feels right, and our heart is telling us that it is ok, but what is actually happening is that our heart is deceiving us! Our heart is easily turned away from the Lord because it has a natural leaning toward rebellion. The heart can be deceptive, so we must make decisions based on the truth of God's Word (His stated will). So that this doesn't sound like straight doom and gloom, Paul talks about how we can live victoriously over our sinful nature and how we can cultivate a heart that leans to God instead of rebellion. That is tomorrow! For now, you must understand the power and deceptive nature of the heart and its leaning toward the sinful nature. David, after commiting adultrey and murder, spoke these words to God:

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me."
Ps. 51:10

Ask God to renew your heart this morning and give you a right spirit. Do not allow the enemy to keep you in a condition of self-defeat!

Comments

Anonymous said…
With out a dout His love is unfalling,He is always there just wanting us to long 4 Him, Even when we cant see where the path is headed.we need to come to Jesus every day an praise Him,with out Him we are nothing! THANKS MY BROTHER!

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan