Humanism in Christian Clothing

 I find myself more and more baffled by some of the things that I see posted on social media and how it seems to connect with so many.  I saw a post that quoted a pastor that said, "When your spirituality denies someone's humanity, it isn't spirituality, it's hatred wrapped up in religiosity."  The post attributes this to Mark Sandlin.  I don't know this pastor, if he really said it, or what the context was surrounding the quote.  However, it would seem reasonable to assume that the individual posting the quote was implying that if your spirituality leads you to conclude that homosexuality, transgenderism, or any other LGTBQ+ issue is sin, and you don't think it is the public schools job to normalize this, then you are denying someone's humanity, thus your spirituality is really not spirituality... it is hatred wrapped in religiosity.  This is a really odd statement for several reasons.

1.  What makes something spiritual?  Who defines what this is?  Isn't it really just your religious beliefs?  I have heard over and over again the saying, "I am not religious, I just love the Lord."  I have even said that before, but the reality is, religion is just a set of deeply held beliefs.  I get what people are saying when that phrase is used, as it would seem religion is equated with outward practices.  Outward practices ought to come from deeply held beliefs about life, its purpose, and its ultimate reality.  So let's be honest about our terms.  We use the word spirituality as if our set of beliefs make us more "spiritual" than someone else.  It just seems like a silly, unhelpful use of the word.  

2.  The question we ought to be asking is where the basis of our "spirituality" comes from, and how that shapes the way you perceive the world.  If you ask a number of religious sects, they will point you to some source that shapes what they believe.  A Muslim will point to the Koran.  A Jehovah Witness will point to the Bible as it is interpreted by Charles Taze Russel (or the latest writings from the Watchtower).  A Mormon will say it is the Bible and the prophetic enlightenment of Joseph Smith.  A Catholic will tell you it is the Bible plus Sacred Tradition (as refined by the latest Catechism), plus Papal authority.  Buddhists have their sacred books.  Hindus have The Verdas.  Protestants will tell you that the source that shapes ultimate reality is the Bible alone.  What I find interesting is that a "new" spirituality is rising that forms deeply held beliefs about ultimate reality based on what society has quasi collectively determined it to be at the moment.  It may even be wrapped in "Christian" clothing, but it is pure humanism.  According to the dictionary, humanism is "an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters."  Humanism wrapped in Christian clothing is essentially someone saying, "I like Jesus, but I don't really care what he thinks about ultimate reality."  Humanism wrapped in Christian clothing seeks to re-interpret the Scriptures to conform to what they believe ought to be right.  If they encounter a clear passage, then it is dismissed as opinion and not inspired by God.  In other words, humanism in Christian clothing will determine what parts of the sacred text are words from God and which ones are not.  As long as the Divine agrees with what I think, then it must be sacred and trusted.  It is humanism to the core.  While humanism is not new, it seems more and more people are signing up for this new flavor wrapped in Christian clothing.

Jesus himself said, "Watch out for false prophets.  They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." (Matthew 7:15)  This describes this new flavor of humanism.  It is more dangerous than those that just honestly admit that they are atheists.  At least their humanistic belief system is not clothed with Christian labels.  

I am one of those that have deeply held beliefs based on Scripture alone.  I believe that God revealed Himself through the Scriptures and that He is the authority on ultimate reality.  I would tell you that I also believe this to be true based on my own transformation experience, but that is somewhat unhelpful in a conversation with others.  If someone asks me why I believe what I believe, I can respond confidently based on the Scriptures.  And yes, there are times when I am uncomfortable with a conclusion I come to after much study of Scripture because it doesn't fit what I want.  Scripture wins out every time.  Why?  Because I am not the authority on ultimate reality.  God is and He revealed ultimate reality in His Word!  So if God says that that homosexuality is sin, then it is sin.  If God says adultery is sin, then it is sin.  If God says lust is sin, then it is sin.  If God says pride is sin, then it is sin.  If God says slander is sin, then it is sin.  Sin means to miss the mark of God's righteous character and design.  It is what goes against righteousness.  Ultimate reality tells me that we are all sinners and that God, because of His great love for us, sent His perfect Son to right our wrong... to die as a sacrifice of atonement... to make restitution by taking the due penalty for my sin upon Himself and, in exchange, giving me His righteousness.  Now this is not my opinion, it is what the Scriptures clearly teach and I simply believe that it is true.  This is called faith.  Big difference!  Humanism is total opinion about ultimate reality because it is based on just what "I" think it ought to be.  

I am writing this blog post as a warning to those who profess faith in Christ.  Don't get sucked in by wolves in sheep's clothing.  Don't buy into humanism with Christian clothing!  Reason this out!  Who will be the ultimate authority on ultimate reality... you or God as He has revealed it in the Scriptures.  If you are under 50, this philosophy has been engrained in everything you watch, read, and interact with from the media and other social settings from the time you were born.  The draw is veiled in compassion, but it will lead to destruction.  The starting point for all of this is the very question that we need to be settled on...

WHO HOLDS ULTIMATE AUTHORITY ON ULTIMATE REALITY?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan