1 John 3:1-3

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. Dear friends, now we are the children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. Everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." 1 John 3:1-3

From Enemy to Child! That should be the front page news of our lives! God's love is greater than anything we can compare it to. Though we have offended a Holy God who must judge sin, He still pursued us at the expense of His Son, so that He could reconcile us with Himself and make us His children! What an intimate term. I have two children, and both of them are very dear to me. I can't imagine how I would respond if something happened to them. They are my children. I would protect them at all costs. I nurture them, and long to see them mature. They have a special place in my heart. I can't help but think that we, as God's children, have a special place in the heart of God. This is our identity! The world does not understand this identity, because it does not understand Jesus. We shouldn't be surprised! The neat part about our identity is that we don't know what we will become! We will be enfolded more into the identity of Jesus one day when He appears! We shall be like Him! This is something we long for and can bank on. It is our hope! So lets get ready for that day by purifying ourselves now! Lets start moving in the direction of our identity! Be pure as He is pure! As a matter of fact, John makes it clear that genuine followers of Christ will have a desire to be more like Jesus. So what do you say! How can you and I become more like Jesus? Be pure as He is pure! Be truthful as He is truthful! Be kind as He is kind! Be full of grace as He is full of grace! Be submissive as He is submissive! Serve as He serves! obey as He obeys! Okay, you get the idea. We can only become more like Him if we know Him through the Bible (His revelation of Himself). Know and become!

God, help me to know you more and seek to practice my identity! I long to become more like you in all that I do. Lead me in this process as I look forward to the day when my full identity will be realized. Oh to be like Jesus in everything! What a glorious thing that would be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan