1 John 2:12-14

"I write to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of His Name. I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, dear children, because you have known the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the Word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one." 1 John 2:12-14

These are a few interesting verses. I seems as if John is repeating himself, but it is interesting to note that verses 12 and 13 are written in the present tense and verse 14 is written in the aorist tense in the Greek language. This is why the NASB says "I am writing..." in verses 12 and 13, and "I have written" in verse 14. The aorist tense generally refers to past tense. Why did John do this? I am not sure! It could be because he wants his readers to know that his message has been the same. I honestly don't know. He refers to his reader as children, fathers, and young men. Is he addressing three literal groups? Again, I am not sure. He uses the word children to refer to all of his readers earlier. Is he referring to levels of spiritual growth? I don't know. Could John be emphasizing the great need of people from every generation to be in the light, to have a right relationship with God! Certainly the older generation would have been around or at least near the time when Jesus walked the earth, after all John was! This would explain John's repeated phrase that they have known Him (Jesus) who is from the beginning. Young men have experienced the spiritual warfare, they have been tested and tempted and know what its like to overcome or get victory over the evil one. The younger generation is entering their journey. They haven't been through the ringer, but know that their sins are forgiven and that they have a relationship with the Father. Regardless of your generation, it is important to have a right relationship with God. A relationship that is marked by love, obedience, and a passion for truth. This is what the book of 1 John seems to be about as well as all of John's previous writtings.
God, help me to be attentive to John's message of love, obedience, and truth. Certainly, it is my desire to have these three aspects mark my life, but I need Your help. May I be aware of Your presence and sensitive to the leading of Your Spirit today. Help me to love others well, to obey You completely, and discern truth accurately. Thank You for Your Word!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan