Behold, God Dwells Among His People

 As we read through the Old Testament, I have been struck by the extend that God goes to dwell with His people.  This is actually part of the Covenant God made with His people on Sinai.  He will dwell with them in a chamber set apart for Him alone called the Most Holy Place.  He would dwell behind a curtain, which was crossed only one time a year on the Day of Atonement by the High Priest.  God dwells with his people, but is still separated from them.  Leviticus 26:11-12 is a record of God telling His people, "I will make my dwelling among you and my soul shall not abhor you.  And I will walk among you and will be your God, and you shall be my people."  This really is the first time since the Garden that God is reaching out to dwell with His creation.  However, His dwelling, though limited and not fully realized, seems to be based on Israel's obedience to the covenant made on Sinai.  No sooner is the covenant made when Israel rebels, turns to idolatry, and God's dwelling with them is seriously threatened.  However, God dwelled with His people up until the time of the exile.  Ezekiel tells us that God is not limited to a temple and that His glory has departed.  Even in this limited and very veiled way that God dwelled with His people, it was insufficient.  Not because God is insufficient, but that the people of Israel just could not keep the covenant.  The next time in the Scriptures that we see God making His dwelling with mankind is the incarnation.  God became man, and He made his dwelling among us.  The Apostle John goes on to say that "we have seen His glory."  Yet mankind killed the Son of God.  Jesus departed into heaven, but was sending the Holy Spirit who would dwell IN those who were His people.  That is where we are at today.  But God's dwelling with mankind is not fully realized yet.  It is still limited and veiled.  There is still separation between what is in heaven and what is on earth.  This separation will continue until that glorious day when God establishes the new heavens and the new earth.  At that time we will see the Bible come full circle.  God will dwell with His people with no separation.  Listen to how this is described in the book of Revelation 21:1-5...

1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." 5 And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

This is one of the passages of Scripture that I read at my grandmother's funeral last weekend.  I could not help but marvel at the unity of the Scriptures as it unfolds this theme of God's dwelling place with man.  Sin separated us from God, but He has been moving us toward a full restoration and realization of His dwelling with mankind once again.  However, there is something different about the new heavens and new earth.  There is no more separation.  God's presence will no longer be veiled from His people.  We will see Him face to face, and this is a total act of God.  This is why I believe the language says the New Jerusalem CAME DOWN.  We did not bring earth to heaven.  God brought heaven to earth.  The separation is no more by His doing.  This dwelling with our God is one where there is no more death, pain, loneliness, grief, destruction, or disfunction.  All things are made new.  This is what we long for!  This is what we hope for!  A setting where God will dwell with humanity.  He will be our God and we will be His people.  What a glorious day that will be!

Comments

Unknown said…
I like how God talks about dwelling with men(plural) ln 21:3. Then He makes it more personal in 21:7 "I will be his (singular)God and he will be my son." I like that! I have thought on this topic for some time. I would like to share these thoughts with you. I will mail it to you. Thanks for sharing. Dave Deans
Jon Pickens said…
Thanks Dave. I very much enjoy reading your thoughts.
Willow said…
I am so thankful for a God that desires to dwell with us/me! I can't wait until that promise is fully fulfilled! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan