A Gospel Response to a Divided Church

 One of my favorite passages in the New Testament is Philippians 2:1-8 which says:

1 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2 complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3 Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Paul is calling the people toward unity and love for one another in a very difficult time to be a church.  It was to the point that Paul mentioned that they were not only appointed to believe but to suffer for the name of Jesus.  So what does he tell this church that is being challenged by suffering?  He calls the church to sacrifice and servanthood.  They were to put their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ ahead of themselves.  They were to actually look after the interests of others and consider them more significant than your own interest.  Then he frames this challenge by having them look at Jesus.  This is why it is one of my favorite passages.  It is the full gospel on display.  It is the story of the King of Glory who humbled Himself to become a man... a man who became a servant, and a servant who willingly sacrificed Himself out of obedience to His Father.  Paul's point is that Jesus is the blueprint that shows us how we ought to relate to one another in very difficult times.  

When we are confronted with very challenging times, we have a decision to make as believers.  Will we look to Jesus and seek to be like Him as we relate to one another?  Are we willing to lay aside our own interests and consider the needs of others as more significant than ours?  Are we willing to humble ourselves and become a servant to those around us?  Are we willing to sacrifice for our fellow brother and sister in Christ?  This is at the heart of the Gospel... sacrifice and servanthood.  

Now is not the time for God's people to be holding tightly to what we are comfortable with or even our individual freedoms.  Yes, I like them just as much as anyone.  Who wouldn't?  I have heard several pastors lament about people leaving their church because masks are required, or that they are not policing the masks tightly enough.  I have heard people say that Satan is using masks to divide God's church.  Maybe there is another way to look at it.  Maybe God is using masks to test our resolve to respond with core Gospel values like sacrifice and servanthood.  I know that I am wading into treacherous waters by suggesting such a thing, but the truth of the matter is that masks are not the issue.  We are the issue.  Our fear, our pride, and our individualism get in the way.  To be honest, I very much dislike wearing a mask.  It makes my face sweat and I find myself getting light-headed if I have it on too long.  However, I also know that it makes others who are less comfortable living with this virus less anxious about it.  And if I want to connect with some, it is a necessity because of their compromised systems.  It just seems like a small sacrifice and a small way that I can put their interests above my own.  I also know that some just can't wear masks, which is why there needs to be grace on everyone's part.  I think it is unhealthy to make a judgment about someone who wears a mask ("there just fearful") or someone who doesn't ("they don't care about others").  I will simply point each of us back to Jesus and ask the question... Am I giving thought and action to these gospel values of sacrifice and servanthood?  What is Philippians 2 speaking to me about?  What needs to change in me that will affect what comes out of me?  I used masks as an example, but this applies to so many of the issues that seem to be dividing believers these days.

Folks, this is the answer to pursuing unity and genuine love toward one another, and it will speak volumes to a world that is watching.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan