Trying Not to Mess Up My Kids!

I have not blogged in quite some time.  I have been writing paper after paper over the past few years as I have been working toward a Masters in Divinity.  I will be honest... it feels a bit freeing just to write without the boundaries of being totally objective without interjecting personal insight.  So what is on my mind???  Probably too much to process all at once, but I want to write about being a father.

Though I was an expert on parenting before I had kids (sarcasm inserted), I now have a 17 year old girl and a 15 year old boy, and I seem to be at a loss at times.  My kids are far from being problem children!  As a matter of fact, it is an absolute blessing to be their dad, but am I preparing them to launch into a world that will challenge their faith at every turn?  I am excited about the challenge this next year presents, yet I am scared at the same time.  My daughter will be a senior, so what that means is that time is getting short.  Is she ready?  Have Trish and I prepared her well?  I guess only time will tell but there is so much more that I would like to invest in her before she enters into a freedom that she has never experienced before.

Here is what I know... raising kids takes three essential things:

1.  Intention!  You have to be intentional about what and when you teach and challenge your children in their growth process.

2.  Modeling!  Most of what your kids will learn is caught rather than taught.  Your values are fleshed out in your actions, and your children will learn your values more by watching a consistent living out of those values.

3.  Time!  You cannot teach or shepherd a child's heart effectively without giving them time.  They need time, and the older they get, the more other activities and relationships will be vying for that time.  Take advantage of those moments.

If I were to rate myself on all three of these categories, I would say that I go in spurts on the first one, I am solid on the second, and I let too many other things compete for time.  I have one year left with my girl in the home before college... time is getting short.  It is critical that I am intentional and make way for ample time with her this next year.  It is true that I am feeling the pressure of time, but I know a very gracious God who has promised to give strength to the weary and to increase the power of the weak... and I am weak.  I need You, Lord, to be a great Dad this next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan