What Is God's Rest? - Hebrews 4:3-10

"Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' " And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: "And on the seventh day God rested from all his work." And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest." It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience. Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts." For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his."
Hebrews 4:3-10

What is God's rest? Think about it... God, who never grows tired or weary, rested after creation. He didn't rest because He was tired, so what is it? I will venture to say that the Sabbath Rest is a time to enjoy that which is good! God created this world and declared that it was good, and now it was time to enjoy His creation. When sinned entered the world that which was good was corrupted and cursed, yet there is still a Sabbath Rest in the age to come where God, together with His people, will enjoy all that is good again. I'm starting to sound like Lord of the Rings! Did sin interrupt that goodness, or did God allow it to demonstrate the full extent of that which is good... namely Himself. Would we have known the full extent of God's love had not Christ entered the world to be sacrificed for the atonement of our sin? God had to have known sin was going to enter the world, after all, "He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy blameless in His sight." (Eph. 1:4) He knew! It did not surprise Him! It was a part of the bigger picture... the Glory of the God who reveals Himself to His creation! He rested! And there is a day when those who obey the Gospel, that is to say... those who turn to Christ in faith, will share in that rest! We will enter into a time and place where our single task is to enjoy our God and all that is good.

Unbelief is the great barrier between such enjoyment! A hard heart is the single biggest obstacle in the way of resting! Do not lose heart! Do not turn away! Do not get sucked in to empty philosophies that are based on human tradition or pride! Humble yourself before God and He will lift you up! God desires you to enjoy Himself and all that is good for all eternity, not the pleasures of sin for a short while. Just believe! believe! believe! Turn to Christ!

Comments

David said…
I'm still stuck on the parable so...

Non-odious or unavoidable,
Putting them together is unequivocal.
There is to much time before an assumption,
So don't try to hinder him.
Pacify calamity to be overwhelmed with catastrophe,
Ostracize Satan's family to be with the One we love?
Serving our ill will is to live with philanthropy,
Still picturesque design proves a Nations hypocrisy.
Why bother to die when it seems harder to live,
I'd take a bullet for my sister,
It be the last life I could give.
Peer into the future a work of macabre lies,
Fall from the Grace watching our Father cry.
Manifest Religion only renounces our pain,
Drive a spike through my wrists for its your blood that's stained.
A renegade remedy that changed the world,
Vehement veracity, we are the oysters pearl.

I think we share glory and rest only proved what has been predestined...
David said…
VS. 4:3-10

“A day to the Lord is a thousand years and a thousand years is a day” - the Bible, refers to Yom as a day and this is by no means an argument for a progressive creationists point of view because Hebrews specifies the Kingdom of God as clearly being the ‘rest’. Do I rest in the Kingdom of God? Its safe to say the following: I am one, one for all, but one whom tempts is all for one. There is no rest with the wicked yet righteousness is inherited to some as spirit to others. Years ago as a teenager we got together an Ouija board and took it in the woods to play the game(?)… I got several stories of truth regarding this game from myself and others but let me tell you about one experience in relation to a future prediction that came to pass for me in Bible College. We were just asking normal questions about life and our future. I asked the spirit what their name was and it spelled Legion. I asked nothing after this point for I knew what that meant. The board went on to tell of a person I’d meet at college and depicted her name, her age, and then left me to wonder. Told me the girls was Rachael Kane and she would meet me at 19 years of age. Well, to make a story short, sure as hell, I met Rachael Kane at 19 1 year later in the cafeteria of Baptist Bible College. I to this day wonder if Legion was there too. Do you rest in God’s future promises? Virginia Price was an old lady at Calvary who lead me to the Lord using a felt board and the book of Romans at age six. I remember running out of the parsonage, looking up to the sky, and just feeling grateful for an eternal friend, and that was before Legion… I could talk for hours or rather write for hours on my life with Christ and how its been more than evident through personal experience. Upon the death of my brother in law at age 38 (Cancer) I was sad as everybody in our family. The dream I had the night after the viewing was amazing. I was walking down the hallway of my Father’s house where I saw Greg clothed in white linen in the corner sitting on a wooden rocker. He didn’t look anything like he did when he left us. He had a radiance, he smiled, and as I asked him, “Greg!! How are you?” he replied, “blissful” then faded for eternity. I struggled with loosing him also and how much more did my sister with three kids and more than several states away. I don’t want to bore you with my sob stories, the point is rest…..

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating a Culture of "Pride" as a Christian

Humanism in Christian Clothing

Why Israel Still Matters in God's Plan